Monday, August 11, 2008

A UFO Spotting Chicken Farmer Makes News as Politician

"A UFO-SPOTTING former chicken farmer could hold the balance of power in
the Northern Territory's new government after Labor took a hammering at
the polls."

I have stumbled across this opening paragraph, or something very similar many times in the last week.

Gary Woods is an Australian politician in what the Northern Territories. As far as I can gather, he has been in parliament since 2001, and now is in a position to hold an important vote.

Now, I do not understand Australian politics, and do not wish to push into that aspect of this story. Something else strikes me everytime I hear about this.

Most of the articles on this man start off this way. You have to get deeper into the story to find his name, political leanings, or anything else about him.

First, I understand that he is making news because he could soon have more power as a politician. But are they surprised that a UFO sighter could hold power? Or a chicken farmer? Perhaps one or the other is ok, but to combine the two failings is amazing! Look what he has risen above!

And the UFO sighting isn't even a footnote. As I pointed out, it is right there, right away!

We have had our own politician in The United States who has reported seeing a UFO. To his credit, Dennis Kucinich was outed by his friend, Shirley MacLaine, when her book was published. Former president Jimmy Carter also claimed to have seen a UFO.

But these are footnotes in the American press. Interesting, something to throw in the mix, but ultimately, not a deal breaker. I think Kucinich benefited more than he was hurt by this story. He definitely got more name recognition from the story than he had before.

Later I am going to write a post that Australia is having a surge in UFO sightings I think Mr. Woods experience is quite fitting, considering the times.

No comments: