Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Jim Buckland Predicts LA Eartquake

Last month, Jim Buckland predicted an earthquake in LA for this month. Yesterday, it happened. Now, everything I've heard says that you cannot predict earthquakes, but this guy disagrees. And he claims an accuracy rating of around 75 percent to back it up.

I listened to him on Coast To Coast AM tonight, (Well, last night now) and he has some pretty convincing logic behind his predictions. Apparently, if your pet, and a lot of other pets, start acting strange, you need to pay attention. Of course, there is a lot more behind his thought process than just animal behavior, but he claims to have data compiled from newspapers showing a spike in lost pets just before an earthquake.

He posts his predictions and the results for each month on his web site, so it's right there for everyone to see. He is obviously has the courage to state his beliefs publicly, and his results are there for anyone to track.

I tried to search a couple of science magazines to see if he had published anything, or if he was quoted or mentioned. I also searched the web a bit trying to find any dissenting voices. Now I grant you that the web is huge, and I only looked at the very beginning of each search, but I could not find any other mention of Mr. Buckland, agreeing or disagreeing.

So, according to Mr. Buckland, and my own admittedly cursory research, the mainstream scientific community is ignoring him.

I look at this the way I look at a lot of those miracle drugs on TV. You know the ones that offer to cure all your ills by cleaning out your colon? If these things really worked, why isn't my Doctor recommending them to me?

Mt Buckland might have a great system for predicting earthquakes. I want to hear what the arguments against him are before I decide for sure. So until then, I will remain skeptical. But on the other hand, I'm no going to book any unnecessary travel into any cities he mentions as hot spots, either!

What do you think? Is his work science? Or hype?


http://www.syzygyjob.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

No comments: